The app industry is at boom this year, new entrants are noticed in the market while the conventional businesses are reaching its audience via mobile apps to pace up with the market scenarios.
There is a proper demand supply chain behind these changing market scenarios. The rising demand in the app market is substantiated by some hardcore facts.
Tal Oppenheimer, the Google Product Manager, gave a bird’s-eye view of user statistics of Geo-spatially emerging markets at Google I/O Developer Conference 2017.
China, India, Brazil, and Nigeria are considered as emerging markets with a dramatic hike in the number of internet user. The data is summarised as follows:
|Country||Year||Number of Internet Users|
The incremental internet users growth in the USA was minimal in 2014 while India witnessed a hike of 100 Million new internet users in both the years 2015 and 2016. Still, about 65 percent of India’s population is population is offline. Deducing from these facts the potential of growth in this country is enormous.
A GSMA Intelligence study adds to the point by predicting that by 2020 India will see a billion mobile subscribers.
Given the deluge of the user base in emerging markets, mobile app developers across the world need to have a global perspective and account for prevailing trends in emerging trends while developing the mobile app.
If you have a validated app idea in mind and are considering to build an Android app, we have few tips that will help you rule the Google Play Store.
1. Utility apps are your key to success
A leading mobile advertising company, Jana, upon a survey to track what type of apps are widely being used in the growing markets of Brazil, India, and Indonesia, found that Utility Apps have outperformed and are more commonly used in comparison to other genres of apps.
The reasons why utility apps are most popular in these markets are:
- Budget phones come with limited features and have shortened battery and storage space is relatively low as well. Utility apps are put to use to conserve battery, block viruses, enhance performance and manage storage space.
- The cost of data in emerging countries is very high, utility apps ensure less data consumption and prolong the internet life of users.
- For Mobile App developers: Build apps which are targeted at simplifying or resolving day to day issues of common people and you will be loved by the upcoming generation of smartphone users.
- For Entrepreneurs: Asses your app features for utility and hire experienced mobile app developers who can bring the idea to life.
2. Is your monetization plan feasible for the new market?
Does your payment gateway only accept credit cards? Then your app may have a good download count but won’t generate expected revenue in India, Thailand, and Vietnam.
Some hardcore facts:
- For the population of over a Billion, India has approximately 20 million credit cards.
- 81% of online sales are paid by ‘cash on delivery’ method in Vietnam.
- In Thailand, the count on the above grounds is 70 percent.
- For Mobile App developers: App developers ought to add alternative payment options like bank transfer, payments at convenience stores, ATM, and mobile wallet.
- For Entrepreneurs: Bring alternative payment methods in your app wireframe.
3. Find out all about local trends and user culture
At 2017 I/O conference, Mariya Moeva, Developer Programs Engineer at Google highlights the key aspect of new internet users in emerging markets:
“A lot of users are coming online for the first time on their phone. They don’t have a lot of experience with the desktop. A lot of them have never used email and they have different cultural expectations or color preferences.”
“A lot of these users are coming online in a completely different context, so you shouldn’t expect that the product you have right now, with the UI and flow and the graphics, will fit their needs.”
For both Entrepreneurs and Mobile App Developers:
Make an investment in research on local trends and user culture:
Your key pointers should be:
- What devices your targeted users are they using?
- What do they feel about existing functions or UI?
- Are there some unique local UI patterns for these specific market?
- The list of commonly used features among users in the targeted market.
Google Dev teams have further provided 5 pointers to ensure success in emerging app markets like India, China, Brazil, Nigeria, and Indonesia which are struggling with basic tech infrastructure like:
- Poor internet connection,
- Wide range of devices, and
- Expensive data
The list of 5 pointers may further help to dig deep and necessary modulate your development process or plan add-ons in existing apps.
The list is as follows:
- Remove Barriers
- Optimize Speed
- Address Intermittent Connectivity
- Guide new users
Summing up, it’s critical for mobile app developers to research about how users in emerging markets utilize, and react to the functionalities of mobile apps, in order to create well received apps.